Speech, Language and Communication Needs course
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe the prevalence and hidden nature of speech, language and communication needs
- Differentiate between typical and atypical stages of language acquisition
- Identify receptive, expressive and pragmatic language difficulties and evaluate their impact on access to the curriculum and social inclusion
- Explain the purpose and process of individual education assessments
- Use checklists to assess attention, listening, expressive language and fluency skills
- Observe and evaluate social use of language and independent learning strategies
- Design and plan strategies to support the development of phonological and articulation skills
- Devise interventions to strengthen and expand vocabulary
- Arrange opportunities to develop social skills and understanding of non-verbal language
- Create an action plan to practise course application skills in the classroom
How much does it cost?
You have two choices:
Tutored – usual price
£240.00 , now just £144.00 (including VAT) - offer ends March 31st 2018
Guided – usual price
£90.00 , now just £48.00 (including VAT) - offer ends March 31st 2018. Guided versions of our sensory courses are not available.
What does this include?
|Access to your course for||12 months||6 months|
|Online support from a specialist tutor while you complete the course (typically 3-4 months)|||||
|One point of direct contact with your tutor (by phone, Skype, FaceTime), which you agree between you|||||
|Guidance on SMART goal writing|||||
|Certificate on passing|||||
|Buy now||Buy now|
This course is CPD certified.
An employer purchasing places for a number of people might opt for more tutor contact, such as a group workshop, which would incur an additional charge to cover the tutor’s time and travel expenses.
Alternatively, schools or local authorities enrolling a number of employees on a course might opt to have an in-house specialist provide tutor support. In this situation, the in-house specialist would complete the course(s) as a participant first, and take part in tutor training.
Organisations can also be eligible for discounts on multiple purchases – If you’d like to explore options, please get in touch.
Feedback from our participants
“One of the things I have learned is that pupils learn in very different ways. Many of them need visual cues to help them understand and access the curriculum. Another thing I have learned is that some of the children don't have skills to filter out unimportant information and it's beneficial to relay what the teacher has said in simpler terms. Giving them one instruction at a time is also important.
“This training has had a huge impact on how I communicate and teach learners with SLCN. I can identify individual learners needs and adapt lessons so that they can understand the tasks given to complete, feel confident in their own abilities and not be afraid to ask for help when needed.
“The setting of these goals enabled me to focus on the areas in which the child needed support and to set aside time to work individually with him. I have used this in my practice with other children, identifying areas which need support and providing short one to one small group sessions to address these.
“My classroom practice, and that of my TA has become more effective. I have found the professional support and advice from the team, the forums and the group discussions with colleagues, useful and informative and will definitely be revisiting the course materials to support my practice.