Hearing Impairment course
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe how the ear works and define the different causes of hearing loss
- Describe the impact that hearing loss has on child development, learning and social inclusion
- Explain the range of communication modes used by students with a hearing loss
- Identify different amplification devices, including additional listening devices, and describe how environmental adaptions can enhance hearing
- Use checklists to carry out observations of a student’s functional hearing
- Apply a graduated response to meeting the needs of hearing impaired pupils based on the assess, plan, do review cycle
- Describe your role in implementing an Education Health and Care Plan
- Contribute towards planning interventions that take into account a pupil’s individual development profile and needs
- Explain the benefit of a positive whole-school approach to deaf awareness
- Employ strategies to support communication, access to the curriculum, social inclusion and well-being, and increase independent learning skills
- Explain the range of different education settings for sensory impairments
- Set SMART goals and implement strategies for improving learner outcomes
How much does it cost?
Tutored – usual price
£240.00 , now just £144.00 (including VAT) - offer ends March 31st 2018
- access to your online course for 12 months
- online support from a specialist tutor while you complete the course – typically up to 4 months
- one point of direct contact with your tutor (phone, Skype, FaceTime), which you’ll agree between you
This course is CPD certified.
An employer purchasing places for a number of people might opt for more tutor contact, such as a group workshop, which would incur an additional charge to cover the tutor’s time and travel expenses.
Alternatively, schools or local authorities enrolling a number of employees on a course might opt to have an in-house specialist provide tutor support. In this situation, the in-house specialist would complete the course(s) as a participant first, and take part in tutor training.
Organisations can also be eligible for discounts on multiple purchases – If you’d like to explore options, please get in touch.
Feedback from our participants
“The course has made me more aware of the needs of a pupil with a hearing impairment and the barriers that they face in every day life. Full inclusion is the key to a pupil's progress and happiness in a mainstream setting.
“As I have returned after 10 years away from working in the field of Hearing Impairment the course enabled me to refresh and update my skills and knowledge. It has provided material I can use with young people, their families and other professionals.
Qualified Teacher of Hearing Impairment
“I have become more aware of the ineffectiveness of too much "teacher talk" and of the importance of very directed questioning and enabling plenty of opportunities for the pupil to develop and consolidate his learning.