Supported learning for teaching professionals
Flexible self-paced learning
CPD certified for 20 hours of learning
Upskill staff in your school or organisation
About autism spectrum disorder
Autism is a lifelong developmental disorder, which is on a spectrum that can range from exceptional abilities through to severe intellectual disability.
Learners with an autism spectrum disorder can:
The course was extremely beneficial, and I would highly recommend it to others. It was delivered in a way which was easily accessible and enjoyable to complete.
- have difficulty communicating with and relating to others
- have restricted and repetitive interests and behaviours
- appear distressed when routines are changed
- be over sensitive to some sounds, movements, smells and tastes
- show a lack of awareness or insensitivity to other peoples’ feelings
I have really enjoyed this course. I have found it very informative and the tutor was extremely helpful. It has really opened my eyes and mind and It has made such a difference regarding my role as an educator.
Who is the course for?
Our Autism Spectrum Disorder course is perfect for those who work in schools with children on the spectrum, such as teachers, teaching assistants, SENCO’s and school leaders. However all practitioners can benefit, e.g. speech and language therapists.
The target age range is compulsory education (4-18 years) but the course may also be useful in early years settings. Our course will also be of benefit to parents of children with autism looking for support and more information.
Why join the course?
Participants’ pre and post-course evaluations demonstrate significantly increased confidence in identifying, assessing and supporting learners with autism.
Ability to meet the needs of learners with autism
- Not confident
- Somewhat confident
- Fairly confident
- Very confident
As of August 2019
This course looks at the impact autism can have on a learner’s life and shows how you can make your classroom and practice more inclusive for these learners. You will learn how to further understand the needs of learners with autism and develop a range of strategies to improve learning outcomes.
See what people say about our courses...
This way of training has created a relaxed and stress-free way of learning, making it easy to learn new skills and further my knowledge.
This course aims to develop the knowledge, understanding and skills of all those working with children and young people with autism spectrum disorder to support inclusive practice.
Learn about autism spectrum disorder, including the distinguishing characteristics, its prevalence, and other behaviours that may arise from autism spectrum disorder. Explore the historical perspective to identification of autism spectrum disorder.
Assessment for Learning
Understand the need for teachers to assess, and the range of informal assessments that can be carried out in schools. Learn how to assess individual needs arising from autistic spectrum disorder, assess environmental triggers and create your own three SMART goals specific to your learner.
Explore a range of adjustments to meet the needs of pupils with autism spectrum disorder, including communication and relationship skills. Discover ideas for developing an ASD friendly learning environment in your class and school, and devise your own interventions.
View real examples that illustrate the needs of the individual, the interventions implemented and their resulting progress.
What you will learn
On successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- describe the distinguishing features of autism spectrum disorders
- explain the restricted flexibility in behaviour and thinking
- identify potential atypical sensory responses to environment stimuli
- explain the purpose and process of individual education assessments
- carry out assessments of communication, social integration and sensory processing abilities
- evaluate particular behaviours and their implications for learning
- choose appropriate assessment tools to determine the level of adjustments required
- design and plan strategies to reinforce desirable behaviour
- devise interventions to develop communication and social skills
- create an action plan to practise course application skills in the classroom